As the East Side began to decline, young first-generation American Jews moved uptown and northwards to the Humboldt Parkway area and Ferry sections of the city. This section of the city has tended to be overlooked when documenting the broader history of Jewish Buffalo.
The records of Temple Beth David and The Humboldt Orthodox Center suggest a rich Jewish life in this area, however, we have limited records for Temple Beth David and Humboldt Orthodox and we have no records for the three synagogues: Ohav Zedek (Hungarian), Ohel Jacob and Tifereth Zion, except for a few clippings.
Contribute to this page
If you have any materials relating to any of these congregations or any Jewish businesses for the Humboldt-Ferry area, and want to share them, please contact us or upload here.
Humboldt-Ferry Location Map
356 Roehrer Ave, Buffalo, NY
493 E Ferry St, Buffalo, NY
652 Humboldt Pkwy, Buffalo, NY
41 Lansdale Pl, Buffalo, NY 14211
Humboldt Orthodox, First Minutes, Aug 19, 1940, courtesy of Cofeld Judaic Museum, Temple Beth Zion, Buffalo, NY.
Humboldt Orthodox, members, 1950s, courtesy of Cofeld Judaic Museum, Temple Beth Zion, Buffalo, NY.
Humboldt Orthodox, inventory compiled by Alan Ehrlich, 1960, render as courtesy of Cofeld Judaic Museum, Temple Beth Zion, Buffalo, NY.
Humboldt Orthodox, Ball, 1949 courtesy of Cofeld Judaic Museum, Temple Beth Zion, Buffalo, NY.