Synagogues / Saranac Shul
Congregation Achei Tmimim was founded in 1940 in North Buffalo as Yeshivath Achei Tmimim Lubavitz. The building at 85 Saranac was purchased from Congregation Ner Israel in 1952 from when, like so many other synagogues, it became commonly known by its location name. Some of the congregations members had affiliated with other synagogues such as Ohel Jacob, and because of these origins Saranac honors Hungarian Chassidic minhagim (customs) and Nusach Sfard. A memorial board from Ohel Jacob is maintained by the Saranac.
This building itself was originally constructed as a Methodist Church in 1918, but later functioned as a Masonic Temple. From 1931, it has served as home to two separate synagogues and a school, sometimes simultaneously including The Hebrew Academy of Buffalo (once led by Rabbi Harry Fogelman), as well as host to other institutions, most notably the North Buffalo Jewish Community Center and the Torah Center.
Over the years a number of Rabbis have served the Congregation including Rabbi Michael Eisenberger, Rabbi David Massis, Rabbi Shalom Fischbein and Rabbi Jay Spero, as well as gabbaim including Charles Rosen and David Kunkel.
Family names associated with the Saranac include:
- Selig Adler and Thomas E. Connolly, From Ararat to Suburbia: The History of the Jewish Community of Buffalo. Philadelphia, JPS: 1960.